Friday, October 19

Pan Pizza to Die For

I have to tell you how much I love this recipe.  But first, let me tell you a story.

I have never made a cake with round cake pans. I'm way too lazy, and a 9x13 pan always works. (Hey, it's not pretty, but it sure tastes good.) The only cake pans I have owned I gave to Christian to use in our hibachi pot. So when I decided to try this recipe, I had to ask a neighbor if I could borrow her 9 inch round cake pans to try it. I love it SO much, and my family loved it SO much (the boys both proclaimed it to be the best pizza they have ever eaten, and Christian said it is WAY better than Pizza Hut's pan pizza), that I went to the store and purchased three 9 inch cake pans. And not even the cheap ones. I purchased the nicer ones, because I knew I would be making this pizza at least twice a month for the rest of my life. THAT'S how good this pizza is.

(I got the recipe off of my friend Jessie's food blog. I am making a few tweaks based on what worked and what didn't when I made it.)

Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
About 3 1/2 cups flour (I may try a little whole wheat flour next time to see if I can make it a little healthier)
1 T. sugar
1 T. yeast
2 T. olive oil (for dough)

6 oz. melted butter (almost 1 1/2 sticks) and 3 oz. olive oil (maybe 1/3 cup?), mixed (for the pans - 3 oz per each pan) (It seemed a tad greasy - I think I'm going to try to cut down just a little bit on this; maybe 2 Tbsp less butter and 1 Tbsp less olive oil)

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in the bowl of your mixer. Add the water and stir well to mix. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Add the oil and stir. Add the flour one cup at a time and mix until dough forms. Keep mixing for 5 minutes if you are using a Bosch or KitchenAid, or turn out onto a floured surfaced and knead for about 10 minutes by hand. Dough should be smooth - slightly tacky - but not stick to your hands. After you knead it, divide the dough into three balls. In three 9 inch round cake pans or cast iron skillets, put 3 oz of the oil butter mixture into the bottom of each and spread it out evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a 9 inch circle and place in the buttered cake pans. (It doesn't have to be perfect - as it rises it fills the cake pan.) Cover with a plate. Place in a warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. After it raises slather with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake at 475 degrees for about 13-20 minutes (check at 13) or until the crust is golden brown & the cheese is fully melted.

No comments: