Friday, June 1

White Bread


I make my bread from scratch, and almost never purchase bread.  I have two recipes I use most often, and this is one of them.  My kids prefer this bread over any other bread recipe I have ever made.  It is a really soft, fluffy white bread, but it doesn’t fall apart when you put peanut butter on it like store-bought white bread does.  I’m pretty sure the melted Crisco is what does the trick.  I got the recipe from my sister, but originally it came from a woman in my mom’s ward named Zell.

White Bread

2 ½ cups warm water
A little less than ½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/3 cup melted Crisco (melt in microwave)
7 1/2 – 9 cups bread flour
1 ½ tsp salt

In a large bowl, add the water, yeast, and sugar, let set for five minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients, mix well.  Add flour 2-3 cups at a time, mixing well each time.  When dough is soft but not sticky, cover with a cloth and let rise until double, mix down and let rise again.

Grease 3 pans.  Divide dough into 3 loaves and let rise.  Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: